The M5 features a 24.2MP CMOS APS-C sensor, the same size found in many of Canon’s current generation of crop sensor cameras. However, rather than the Hybrid CMOS AF III system found in the T6i and T6s, the M5 features Dual Pixel AF with a maximum of 49 AF points, something that places it’s capabilities more in line with the 80D and 7D Mark II. We should see faster autofocus with this latest revision to the EOS M lineup, not to mention all the advanced refocusing features that come with Canon’s Dual Pixel technology.
You also get Canon’s latest DIGIC 7 processor and a speedy 7FPS continuous shooting mode (9FPS in live view).
At the back there’s a 3.2″ 1.62m dot touchscreen LCD that tilts downward 180 degrees for selfie mode and up by 85 degrees.
Up top is a built-in 2.36m dot electronic viewfinder, making the M5 the first EOS M with a built-in EVF. The body is now slightly larger and the grip looks more substantial to hang onto while overall weight has increased about 60 grams compared to the EOS M3.
Rounding out the specs are an ISO range of 100-25600, 1080p video at up to 59.94 frames per second, and built-in Wi-Fi/NFC/Bluetooth.
Also announced today were the EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM and EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM II. The former adds a “superzoom” option to the EF-M lens lineup, featuring 17 elements in 13 groups (one UD and two aspherical), a near silent stepping motor and 4 stops of image stabilization.
The EF 70-300mm will have 17 elements in 12 groups (one UD element), 9 circular aperture blades and Canon’s new Nano USM auto-focus.
We expect the EOS M5 to arrive in November with options for just the M5 body ($1249.00) or as a kit with either the EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom ($1399.00) or the new EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM ($1699.00).
See the full press release below:
CANON CANADA INTRODUCES THE LATEST MEMBERS OF THE EOS FAMILY: THE EOS M5 DIGITAL CAMERA AND ITS FIRST EF-M HIGH POWER ZOOM LENS
EOS M5 Camera Provides The Fastest Autofocus (AF) speed of EOS M-Series and a built-in Electronic Viewfinder
BRAMPTON, ON., September 15, 2016 – Canon Canada Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the latest additions to its EOS M series system – the new Canon EOS M5 Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera and compact EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens. The EOS M5 camera features a 24.2 Megapixel APS-C sized CMOS sensor, DIGIC 7 Image Processor and the fastest AF speed in the EOS M-series[i], enabling photographers to capture clear, sharp, high-resolution images and Full HD videos. It is also the first in the EOS camera line to include the low energy Bluetooth® Smart[ii]feature that can maintain a constant connection[iii] with your compatible smartphone or tablet when you use the Canon Camera Connect application and both applications are active. The versatile EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens is compatible with all Canon EOS M series digital cameras, and is a great option for photographers looking to capture scenic landscapes while traveling to close-up shots from afar.
In addition, advanced photographers will appreciate the improved operability of the EOS M5 camera. It has a built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF) and Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF for capturing stills and shooting video with smooth and precise autofocus. This allows for Touch and Drag AF so users can easily switch the subject of their focus by dragging the AF frame directly on the LCD panel, even while looking through the camera’s EVF. Focus peaking allows users to highlight the area of the image that is in focus from within the EVF or LCD monitor. In addition to its touchscreen operability, the EOS M5 camera also has easily accessible dials that allow you to quickly adjust your settings on-the-go.
Key Features of the Canon EOS M5 Camera Include:
– 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, ISO 100–25600.
– Fast and smooth Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you capture stills and shoot video with quick and precise autofocus.
– High-speed continuous shooting at up to 7.0 fps (up to 9.0 fps with AF Lock) and new DIGIC 7 Image Processor with improved – – AF tracking performance.
– Full HD 60p helps capture fast-moving subjects and brilliant results in MP4 format.
– Digital IS with 5-axis image stabilization when shooting movies plus increased image stabilization with both lens optical IS and in-camera digital IS when shooting with an IS lens.
– Built-in high-resolution EVF (approx. 2,360,000 dots) with new Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF frame displayed for more precise focusing in different shooting situations.
– Intuitive touch screen 3.2 tilt-type (85° up/180° down) LCD monitor (approx. 1,620,000 dots) enables flexible positioning and clear viewing.
– Easily customize functions while shooting using the Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, Dial Function Button and Exposure Compensation Dial.
– Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos.
– Equipped with Bluetooth®iii Smart for smooth pairing with a compatible smartphone by powering on both devices for easy photo sharing and remote control possibilities.
– Shorter camera startup time and interval time between each image capture for a more efficient shooting experience.
– Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of EF and EF-S viii lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.
The Canon EOS M5 also features Combination IS with in-camera 5-axis image stabilization, while capturing video, a first in the Canon EOS series. With a compatible lens attachediv, Combination IS leverages optical IS and in-camera digital IS to help create tremendously smooth videos. The DIGIC 7 Image Processor makes the 5-axis IS possible even with lenses that do not contain IS, because the in-camera image stabilization functions independently to help reduce camera shake when shooting videos.
Additionally, the EOS M5 camera shoots impressive time-lapse videos. The EOS M5 camera also allows for easy panning by setting the optimal shutter speed after analyzing the camera’s panning speed and how fast the subject is moving.
The new Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens offers a high-zoom ratio, expanding the range of photographic possibilities for EOS M digital cameras. Its image stabilizer helps with reducing image blur and making image and video shooting easier at longer focal lengths. Along with the enhanced performance, the EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens is compact and lightweight, making it a versatile and convenient lens to carry.
Key Features of the Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Include:
– Canon’s first EF-M high-zoom power lens covering a broad range of shooting scenes with a high-zoom ratio of up to 8.3x (29–240mm equivalent).
– Compact and lightweight design allows for easy portability.
– Optical design helps provide excellent image quality across a broad zoom range comparable to the EF-S 18–135mm f/3.5–5.6 IS USM lens.
– Maximum magnification of 0.31x at focal length 150mm.
– Image Stabilizer effect at up to 4 stops of shake correction helps capture sharp images.
Pricing and Availability
The new Canon EOS M5 camera is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers in November 2016, for an estimated retail price of $1,249.99 for the body only. It will also be sold as part of body-and-lens kits with EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom kit lens (estimated retail price of $1,399.99, scheduled to be available early November 2016), and with the new EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens for an (estimated retail price of $1,699.99x, scheduled to be available in late November 2016x)
In addition, the new Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens is scheduled to be available in late November 2016 for an estimated retail price of $619.99x.
For more information please visit: www.canon.ca
About Canon Canada Inc.
Headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario, Canon Canada Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon USA, is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business and medical digital imaging solutions. Innovation and cutting-edge technology have been essential ingredients in Canon’s success. Canon Canada Inc. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 per cent Canadian-based service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon Canada Inc. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility.